logo
banner
logo

About Echo Valley

pomashack
  • Groomed Ski/Snowboard Runs
  • 70 acres of skiing/snowboarding terrain
  • Beginner to expert runs
  • Elevation – 3000’
  • Vertical Feet – 900’
  • Poma lift, 3 rope tows
  • Tubing Hill - We provide the tubes
  • Fireplace Lodge & Eatery
  • Info

    Opperating Hours: Weekends and Holidays 10 a.m - 4 p.m.
    Updated 12/19/2019 12:00pm
    Lifts Status
    Rope Tow #1 Open
    Rope Tow #2 Open
    Rope Tow #3 Closed
    Poma Open
    Tubing Hill Open

    AM: Groomed this morning
    PM: Groomed last night

    Difficulty Trail Name Status Grooming Report
      Rope Tow #1 Open Open
    Row Tow #2 Open Open
      Rope Tow #3 Open Open
    Upper Bowl Open Open
      Lower Bowl Open Open
    SunnySide Open Open
    Face Open Open
    Valley Open Open
      Ridge Open Open

    Hill Webcam

    lodge poma

    Check out the
    hill webcams


    Trail Map


    History

    From humble beginnings the Echo Valley Ski Area and Lake Chelan Ski Club have maintained operations for over 60 years. The ski area and club are a unique accomplishment created by the spirit and enthusiasm of many dedicated volunteers. The formation of Echo Valley Ski Area began in the early 1950’s when Wally Peterson and his cousin, Dale Peterson, took a tractor, removed a tire and attached a rope to the wheel, creating a tow rope in Dale & Jean Peterson’s orchard located at Greens Landing in Manson. This piqued the interest of many friends of Dale & Wally who thought a ski area was a great idea. Two of these people were George & Dorothy Perry who owned a home and saw mill located on what is now Echo Valley. It was while attending a Saturday ski party in Peterson’s orchard that Dorothy Perry suggested that the “Petersons have a good tow, but George and I have a better hill.” In 1955 the group formed the Lake Chelan Ski Club and moved to the present site. The club was established on December 27, 1955 and Steve Griffith served as the first President. At the beginning of the first ski season, the property was covered with remnants of an old orchard so Wally and Dale Peterson, Steve Griffith and Dick Watson began the task of clearing the land. Beebe Orchard Company donated an old Ford truck and Jack Lafferty mechanically adapted the motor to run the rope tow to the top of the highest hill. The body of the truck provided a warming shelter. In 1956 tow 2, the bunny tow, was added and tow 3 came on-line in 1960. The first half of the lodge was built in 1961 and the second half completed the following year. All of this was accomplished with donated labor and materials. An expansion of the lodge was completed in 1987 at a cost of $5,000. In 1971, the Poma lift was installed and ran for the first time. During these early years club members and their kids spent hours packing the snow with their skis. After the Poma was in operation the club decided a groomer was needed to pack the hill. In a tremendous display of community support the club was able to raise $14,000 in two short weeks for the purchase of a Thiokol grooming machine. The original donors list that was mounted to the side of this Thiokol is currently on display in the Lodge at Echo Valley. In 1980 the club entered into a contract to purchase the land from Reaugh Ranchards, Inc. Prior to this the ski club operated on a year-to-year lease. The club purchased the 40+ acres for $60,000. Many other improvements have occurred since then; including a re-contouring of the bunny hill, the creation of a 4-lane tubing hill, a new ticket office/first aid room and re-location of the rental shop. A grant from Chelan County, a gift from the Lake Chelan Rotary Club and money from the Lake Chelan Chamber of Commerce paid for the materials & rental of equipment to do these improvements. It is through continued volunteer effort that the Echo Valley Ski Area is thriving today. Through association with the Lake Chelan Lions Club the hill is able to operate better & better every year.

    tubing

    TIMELINE
    1955 - Tow 1 installed to top of biggest hill with rip-roarin' motor.

    1956 - Tow 2 - the bunny hill - is installed.

    1960 - Tow 3 - the intermediate tow - is installed.

    1961 - Lodge built

    1970-72 - Poma lift purchased and installed by hard-working crew led by Darrel Lewman.

    1972 - Purchased Thiokol grooming machine.

    1980 - Ski Club purchased Echo Valley property.

    1987 - Lodge expanded

    2001 - A 4-lane tubing hill was created. This turns out to financially save the hill.

    2003 - Ticket Office & First Aid Room built by Bob Carleton, Jr. Rental Shop re-located by Keith Carpenter. Base area, bunny hill & tubing area contoured & excavated by Al Steele. This opened up a whole new teaching & viewing area in the base area.

    2004 - Echo Valley becomes a Lake Chelan Lions Club Activity!

    2005 - Echo Valley Ski Area celebrated 50 years of operations! Volunteers, we thank you!!!

    2008 - Tow 1 burns in a brush fire. New siding is put on the Lodge.

    2009 - A rope tow is purchased from Snoqualmie Pass and installed for easier access to the poma lift. Lodge and tow shacks get a fresh coat of paint.

    2010 - New rope 1 opens to the public. What a great addition to the hill.

    2015 - Echo Valley celebrates 60 years of operation.

    2018 - Lake Chelan Ski Club purchases new groomer (Prinoth) As well as 10 new Poma Poles Tubing Shed built for inner tube and straw storage.

    2019 - Tubing hill expansion from 4 lanes to 6 lanes and lengthened into the parking lot at entrance. A half lane was added for small children. The entrance to Echo Valley was relocated 300 feet up the road. This work was done by Tom Allen, Allen Excavation.